HomeFirm OverviewLawyer ProfilesPractice AreasHahn & Hahn HistoryHiring InformationContact Us
Print This Page|Email This Page To A Friend|Bookmark This Page
Hahn & Hahn History
Quote

Building
Contact Us

301 E. Colorado Boulevard
Ninth Floor
Pasadena, California 91101

Phone (626) 796-9123
Fax (626) 449-7357

HistoryThe First Century

The year was 1899. The Spanish-American War had just concluded in the Pacific, and the Boer War still raged in South Africa. In Italy, Guglielmo Marconi introduced the world to the wireless telegraph, a precursor to his more famous invention, the radio. In Washington D.C., William McKinley became the first United States President to ride in a horseless carriage.

In the fledgling City of Pasadena, California, itself barely ten years old, Edwin F. Hahn was admitted to the practice of law, joining his older brother, Benjamin W. Hahn, on September 1, 1899 in a law partnership they called Hahn & Hahn. Building on a reputation for honesty and integrity, the new partnership flourished, and soon outgrew its small office in the Wetherby & Kayser Building, located on a wide dirt road named Colorado Boulevard. Benjamin and Edwin, the former now serving double duty as Los Angeles County's representative to the State Senate, were joined in 1917 by Benjamin's son, Herbert L. Hahn, recently graduated from the Stanford Law School.

Following Edwin's appointment to the Superior Court bench in 1921, the small law firm moved to the newly-constructed Pacific-Southwest Building, located at the corner of Colorado and Marengo Boulevards, where it would remain for over 40 years. In that time, the firm evolved, under Herbert's leadership, from a few lawyers engaged in a small, family-oriented practice to the largest general civil practice firm in the rapidly-growing San Gabriel Valley. Among the lawyers who joined the firm between 1920 and 1950 were Allyn H. Barber, Joseph G. Pyle, Edwin F. Hahn, Jr., Louis R. Vincenti, A. Hale Dinsmoor, Stanley L. Hahn, Richard G. Hahn and David K. Robinson, a generation of bar and community leaders who built upon and advanced the firm's reputation for unsurpassed quality and integrity in the practice of law.

TodayHahn

Since 1964, Hahn & Hahn LLP has occupied the top floor of what is now the Citibank building at 301 East Colorado Boulevard, overlooking City Hall and Pasadena's magnificent Civic Center. The firm is home to over two dozen lawyers who represent individuals, families, public and private corporations and other business, non-profit and municipal entities in a broad range of matters, including general corporate and partnership counseling, tax advice, municipal law, redevelopment and condemnation practice, real property and land use matters, environmental compliance, labor and employment law, litigation before all state and federal courts, estate planning and probate matters, and many, many others.

Much has changed since 1899, when Benjamin and Edwin Hahn began their law practice in Pasadena. Much, however, remains the same. As it enters its second century, Hahn & Hahn LLP will continue to provide unparalleled legal services to its clients, and will continue to serve both the bar and the greater Los Angeles and Pasadena communities by providing leadership and counsel in their civic endeavors.

 

|